    SubjectRe: UTF-8, OSTA-UDF [why?], Unicode, and miscellaneous gibberish
    On Mon, 18 Aug 1997, Teunis Peters wrote:
    > I don't know what the Japanese or Russian reasons are for opposition but
    > the Chinese have REALLY good reasons for disliking Unicode....
    > Lack of ability to handle a growing, changing character set being the
    > chief problem.

    What encoding handles a growing, changing character set?

    Unicode is regularly extended, and is incredibly complete in
    the area of Japanese characters (which I know a little
    about). I am sure it is/could be as complete for Chinese.
    There are even private areas for your own extensions. What
    more could you want?

    (I note that you are generally positive about Unicode, which
    I agree about.)

    I don't think a big Unicode-advocacy discussion on
    linux-kernel is going to be very constructive. People should
    read /usr/src/linux/Documentation/unicode.txt if they
    haven't already.

    Linux has already standardised on UTF-8 for the console. The
    suggestion of converting all file systems to a single
    encoding is probably a useful one, and should probably
    available as a (default?) mount option.

    > This is _JUST_ for 16bit+ filesystems. Not 8bit filesystems like ext2 or
    > the like.

    As far as I understood, ext2 had already been standardised on UTF-8.
    Of course most (all?) of the effects of this decision take place
    in user space, so people are free to do something else if they really
    want to. Especially people who prefer an 8-bit standard (no '/' issue).

    Even without a big discussion on linux-kernel. Hint, hint.

    Erik Corry

     \ /
      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:40    [W:0.028 / U:51.168 seconds]