SubjectRe: The /sbin/update Daemon
> > How important is it to have the update daemon running?  What would be the
> > consequence(s) if it is not loaded? In other words, is it really necessary?
>
> It's an offtopic here. No, it's not really important to run update. The
> only thing it does - sync() every 30 second.

I don't think it's off-topic, and I think this answer is wrong.
On most Linux installations, update is the same as bdflush. bdflush used
to invoke the kernel flush mechanism, essentially providing a thread.
Now that there is the kflushd, the question is valid whether a user process
still needs to initiate flushing. And how does kflushd relate to what
update does on other systems?

Thanks,
Martin

P.S. I'm not sure about the answer, so I don't give one.

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:40    [W:0.260 / U:0.348 seconds]