SubjectRe: large file support? (fwd)
> Who says you need 64bit inode numbers for a large file system. Nothing
> stops a 64bit fs with multi-terabyte files having 8bit inodes.

The LFS spec recommends this, too. They suggest an ino64_t in struct stat
and struct dirent.
4 milliards of inodes sounds like a lot. However, this style of argument
collapsed in the past many times. If we change the interface, we should
get it right once and for good (this also involves dev_t).

With the decoupling of types in glibc, the kernel interface does not
necessarily reflect in the application interface.

Regards,
Martin

©2003-2011 Jasper Spaans