SubjectRe: scsi.c, aic7xxx: problems in 2.0.28
On Tue, 12 Aug 1997, Ulrich Windl wrote:

> On 8 Aug 97 at 12:23, Ingo Molnar wrote:
>

> > Hello Ulrich,
> >
> > On Fri, 8 Aug 1997, Ulrich Windl wrote:
> >
> > > I experienced some severe problems wen trying to read the defect list
> > > of my SCSI harddisk wirh "scsiinfo -d". The harddisk is a Conner
> > > 1080S with a rather large defect list supplied by the manufacturer.
> > [...]

[...]

> I have also tried Linux 2.0.30 with some patches and the 4.009
> version of the aic7xxx: The results are even worse; I got an OOPS 2
> and a killed interrupt handler. Maybe my harddisk is special...

Please do not overestimate this, I actually worked a bit on scsiinfo and
tried to fix it. There are many formats in which the drive can return the
defect info. If you ask for an unsupported data format, the drive should just
return an error, IMHO.

However, all SCSI drives I know simply locked up. One even required a
complete powercycle to recover and did not respond to resets; it also
locked up the bus to some extend s.t. I got some problems with the rest
of the devices hanging on the same bus.

"scsiinfo -d" scsiinfo justs ask for data in a very common format. I even
found drives which lockup for these.

I tried finding a bug in scsiinfo which might be the cause. But I could
not find one. It just seems that some drives just don't like to be asked
about bad blocks (some grown, some vendor).

Michael.

(eowmob@exp-math.uni-essen.de or eowmob@pollux.exp-math.uni-essen.de
Please do not use my vm or de0hrz1a accounts anymore. In case of real
problems reaching me try mat42b@aixrs1.hrz.uni-essen.de instead.)

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:40    [W:0.032 / U:0.512 seconds]