SubjectRe: Killing clones (threads)
On Thu, 14 Aug 1997, Werner Almesberger wrote:

> Strictly speaking, a "kill all threads" functionality in kill() violates
> POSIX (as kill() should deliver zero or one signal to threads, but never
> more than one), but I'm not sure if we really care about this heavily
> theoretical argument ...

kill() already allows the killing of multiple processes, so I don't really
see anything wrong with adding the functionality to kill multiple threads
in a single process. It doesn't seem like adding that functionality will
actually move Linux out of POSIX compliance; it just seems like an
extension to me. A non-portable extension perhaps, but it could at least
be implemented without breaking the portable stuff.

shag

Judd Bourgeois PGP key ID 0xEDC21CA1
shagboy@mindstorm.com 25DDE4AF C5AFEF51 6905DC77 360F0387
The first duty of a revolutionary is to get away with it.
-- Abbie Hoffman

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:40    [W:0.098 / U:0.116 seconds]