    SubjectRe: Killing clones
    Linus Torvalds writes:
    > On Thu, 14 Aug 1997, Richard Gooch wrote:
    > > >
    > > > About a year ago a least was a a discussion about fixing up the
    > > > CLONE_PID flag so that thread id's would be encoded in the upper bits of
    > > > the pid. One could have ps list only the proc info for the initial
    > > > thread (or other thread if the initial has exited), and be able to see
    > > > what initial process all the threads are associated with.
    > >
    > > It's a pity nothing ever went into the kernel. Threads under Linux is
    > > still a bit clunky. Bit like IRIX threads, actually... At least we
    > > don't have to contend with arenas!
    > Indeed.

    Yep, it's so much fun having to modify the code to increase the arena
    size when you 1) get more CPUs, 2) launch more threads.

    > My hope for the development of clone() was originally:
    > - I laid the basic framework (done)
    > - people started using it, primarily for
    > - pthreads (pretty much done)
    > - asynchronous IO (nope)

    In fact, the application that really started me thinking in earnest
    about clone() problems is sort-of asynchronous I/O: deep in my support
    library I have "Channel" object, a bit like C library "FILE *"
    streams, but properly full duplex (i.e. a separate read and write
    buffer) plus a lot more smarts. Set an attribute and suddenly any
    blocking writes as well as read-ahead can be done by a child thread,
    leaving the main thread to write without blocking but also without
    having to worry about rescheduling writes if you get EAGAIN.

    > - interesting new uses that nobody thought about before (nope)
    > - people started looking at what was missing and add kernel support
    > The basic problem I had was that I had lots of ideas on what I wanted to
    > be possible, but I was also aware that while I wanted a very specific
    > basic design, I was by no means sure exactly which details need to be
    > handled where.
    > For example, the exact bits in the clone() flags field were made up by me
    > not because I wanted those exact bits, but because I imagined that those
    > bits might possibly make sense. For example, I am certain that the
    > CLONE_VM bit makes sense, but does CLONE_FS make sense? I don't know.
    > Maybe it would be better to include the current CLONE_FS information into
    > the CLONE_FILES stuff?

    Does it matter? It's there now, you don't have to use it, and it only
    costs you one bit. Who knows: someone might figure out a reason to use
    one and not the other. Actually, now that I think about it, I realise
    that I'm now doing just that: I use CLONE_FS but not CLONE_FILES
    because of that trick I mentioned earlier with pipes so that threads
    can know when the parent dies. I still want to CLONE_FS, since
    changing directory should still be global. There you go.

    > Or take a look at the low 8 bits. I decided that to implement aio_xxx() on
    > top of clone() we might be better off not using SIGCHLD, but instead have
    > the death of the clone'd child send SIGIO directly. So now the low eight
    > bits of clone_flags is the signal to be sent at exit time.

    I like that feature: I use SIGKILL so that if a child dies, it takes
    down the parent (there are reasons I don't want to deal with
    SIGCHLD). With my "death pipe" scheme, when the parent is killed the
    remaining child threads kill themselves off.

    > I still don't know if people actually use this feature - or the feature
    > that when the signal is something else than SIGCHLD, you have to use a
    > special flag to "waitpid()" to get it to recognize the cloned children.
    > Again, this was so that "waitpid()" wouldn't end up waiting for
    > asynchronous IO.
    > In short, I tried to make a basic framework that would fit my ideas of
    > what a light-weight clone() would be good for, but at the same time I
    > didn't want to set the design in stone - the intention was for it to
    > develop as people found new ways of (mis)using the new cool thread
    > feature.

    I don't think you've made the interface over-flexible. I think all
    those features are being used somehow.

    > > > * modifications to the linuxthreads package for testing all this out
    > > > * other things that may be needed -- linuxthreads needs a little bit of
    > > > help in the kernel in the few places and presumably other more general
    > > > clone based threads need the same sort of stuff. For example,
    > > > linuxthreads uses SIGUSR1, SIGUSR2, and it also needs a "manager thread"
    > > > to handle things like stack cleanup at termination.
    > >
    > > None of these address the problem of killing child threads. Although
    > > it's all good stuff you mention: nice to see someone thinking about
    > > all this.
    > > What was Linus' view on encoding IDs in the upper pid bits? It's
    > > certainly good for grouping processes together, though it may be more
    > > prone to introducing bugs than a simple CLONE_NO_PROC_ENTRY like I
    > > suggested, by the simple rule that anything more complicated is likely
    > > to have more bugs :-)
    > Encoding the thread ID in the high bits was one of the ideas from the very
    > beginning. That's what CLONE_PID is there for: the _intent_ was that
    > CLONE_PID would change only the high bits, and then you could do a global
    > kill (anything with the high bits zero would send a signal to _all_
    > threads that shared the same low bits).
    > Again, this is still an interesting approach. I'd like to see it done some
    > day. The fact that the /proc fs makes it a bit harder is a misfeature, but
    > that's actually due to bad /proc design (which used to make a lot of sense
    > back when inode numbers was all we had, but we could do better these
    > days).
    > My personal favourite for /proc would be that any CLONE_PID threads would
    > show up _inside_ the original parent (that's kind of the basic idea with
    > CLONE_PID). So you'd have
    > /proc/155/ "original" process (ie something that was
    > created without the CLONE_PID bit)
    > /proc/155/1 "1st CLONE_PID child"
    > /proc/155/2 "2nd CLONE_PID child"
    > or something like that.

    YES, YES, YES. The way it should be. Better than the Solaris scheme,
    where you need a special syscall to dig into the process and get the
    LWPs, but without cluttering ps output.

    > > Can I suggest that, where possible, improvements to thread support in
    > > Linux is made as a set of separate patches? We've seen before that
    > > Linus rejects omnibus patches if he doesn't like some bits, even if
    > > other bits are OK. Giving them as separate (independent) patches makes
    > > life easier for him (and hence more likely that "good" patches are
    > > applied quickly).
    > Indeed.

    Thought that approach might help :-)

    > > * new flag to clone() to allow pids to be "grouped" so that part of
    > > the bitrange for pids are shared within a group. Also needs pid
    > > allocation algorithm to change
    > CLONE_PID is that. It currently has a very limited use: the kernel uses it
    > to allocate the SMP idle processes for each task, and those all have to
    > have pid 0 (also high bits). But my real intent was to have something like
    > this:
    > if (flags & CLONE_PID) {
    > newpid = current->pid;
    > /* zero is special - the idle process */
    > if (newpid) {
    > create linked list of processes
    > sharing the same low 16 bits,
    > make "newpid" be the largest to
    > date plus 0x10000 (ie "increment" the
    > high 16 bit counter on a per-PID basis)
    > }
    > } else
    > newpid = traditional_newpid();
    > > * new flag to clone() to either hide a process in /proc or reflect
    > > that the flag was set (thinking about this more makes me think that
    > > this scheme can give much the same flexibility as the above with less
    > > work in the kernel and possibly a little more work in userspace procps
    > > tools)
    > See above about how I'd like this to work. With the /proc/155/1 setup, the
    > old tools would only ever see the original parent, so to "ps" the threaded
    > application would look like just one process.
    > Additionally note that "kill -1 155" would send SIGHUP to _all_ the
    > threads, and if you wanted to kill just one subthread you'd have to name
    > it completely in 32 bits (ie "kill -1 $((0x10000+155))" would kill 155/1,
    > and we'd probably make an extension to bash so that you can say just that:
    > "kill -1 155/1" would do the math for you).

    If we can get such an extension, that would do, IMHO. Might be messy

    > Yes, this does imply that the first thread is special, but I don't see
    > anything really wrong with that. If you don't want the first thread to be
    > special, just don't use CLONE_PID - then all threads will have a full life
    > of their own.

    I think the first thread being special is fine. Same as in Solaris.

    > > * new signals for LinuxThreads support (no more stealing of SIGUSR1
    > > and SIGUSR2)
    > Yes. This is separate from threads, though. We need this for RT signals
    > anyway.
    > > * new flag to clone() or new syscall prctl() so that when a processes'
    > > parent dies, it is sent a signal
    > Agreed. It's actually technically very easy to send a SIGPARENT (just do
    > it in "forget_original_parent()", I think), and it needs another bit in
    > the clone flags.

    But then you need a new signal? Won't that take some revamping of the
    signal handling and libc interface? Not that I have a problem with the
    concept of SIGPARENT. I think adding a flag to clone() or a new
    syscall to specify a signal to be sent when the parent dies has more
    flexibility: there may be times when you want a different signal than
    SIGPARENT. I imagine that the default would be that you get SIGPARENT
    (which is ignored by default), but you can use clone() or prctl() to
    change the signal. In my apps, I would use SIGKILL.
    Doing it the way I suggest (i.e do both) has the advantage of getting
    a quick patch for delivering a signal to a child. Later the more
    difficult (?) job of extending the signal list can be done.
    Is that reasonable?

     \ /
      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:40    [W:0.032 / U:61.136 seconds]