    SubjectTmpfs?
     > From: Rauli Ruohonen <raulir@fishy.pp.sci.fi>

    > .. This gives me an idea: Is it possible to speed up things even more, by
    > making a "tmpfs" that wouldn't care a bit if the data is lost at boot, it
    > would only care about maximal performance?

    Yeah, with a tempfs, you will lose everything at boot. But with Linux
    you're not necessarily going to get big speedups by redesigning things
    with that assumption, because most of the slowness of real file
    systems is masked by the buffer and page cache. But the temporary
    nature should simplify a lot of the design.

    Where are the bottlenecks in Linux file systems anyway?

    > And maybe kernel should do some
    > defragmenting of this if the disk isn't busy.

    I thought about this, but this might be better to do later on, after
    it's shown that the whole idea is doable and worthwhile (ie, second
    rev). Since most files should be short-lived, defragmenting may be
    of lesser value than in initially keeping the files contiguous.

    I don't know how far I'll get. Basically, one of the important
    reasons to write it is so I'll get more familiar with Linux
    internals (is there any kernel-projects list?).

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:40    [W:0.016 / U:153.300 seconds]