SubjectRe: Killing clones
Richard Henderson writes:
> > But how does this manager know when the parent has died? Does it
> > periodically wake up and check if its ppid == 1? Yuk.
>
> Yep.

Yeah, well since I didn't like the idea of a process waking up
periodically, I've implemented another scheme. The parent sets up a
pipe, I close the write end in the threads and do a select(2) for
input in the threads. When the parent dies, the select will
return. The child threads can then check if ppid has changed. It just
means I can no longer clone FDs, but that should not be a problem (I
don't expect to do I/O in the threads, just computations).

Regards,

Richard....

©2003-2011 Jasper Spaans