    SubjectRe: Msdos name alias patch for 2.1.48
    Ingo Molnar <mingo@pc7537.hil.siemens.at> wrote:
    > The first (harder) way would be nice, we could really accept 'hardcore'
    > names as well '/dos\temp\file.' Also, it would make the lookup system
    > flexible enough to accept new rules. NTFS has some really crazy
    > compatibility rules, i think the lookup rules are different for
    > _file lookup_ and _file creation_. Ie. you create two different filenames,
    > which are equivalent, then when you look the name up, you will get only
    > the first one. [the ntfs-linux list was talking about such a rule, i'm not
    > sure wether it's a real one]

    The right thing, I think, is to have a config_non_cannonical_msdos_filesystem
    which

    (a) doesn't transform names heading into msdos, and
    (b) treats names which don't appear in the directory as "virtual
    symlinks" to the aliased names.

    This will eat some cache, and some processing time, but it
    should be possible to re-write the fat file system to make
    this work.

    This is no worse, in principle, than an automounter.

    --
    Raul

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:40    [W:3.513 / U:0.724 seconds]