    SubjectRe: Memory Management - BSD vs Linux
    Date
    In some mail I received from Theodore Y. Ts'o, sie wrote

    > [3] Can any of these systems have
    > a) swap files rather than partitions
    > b) dynamically growing swap space?
    > As far as I can make out, the answeris no!
    >
    > Linux can swap to files (multiple files if necessary), and there is a
    > user-mode daemon that can allow you to dyanmically grow swap space (by
    > allocating a new file).

    NetBSD has swapfiles and does not require a daemon to be running for more
    to be added. NetBSD has also since moved on from just swap(2) to having
    swapctl(2) which supports things like swap files/partitions with different
    priorities and a replacement program for swapon - swapctl(8).

    Darren

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:40    [W:0.018 / U:59.516 seconds]