SubjectRe: InfoWorld web server shootout
Date
Alan Cox writes:
[snip]
> In terms of a pure speed web server for static data (where mmap is a big win)
> the right way[TM] is probably to preindex all the files you can serve and
> to mmap the lot into memory at setup time with a one page gap between them
> that contains precomputed HTML headers for each page.
[snip]
> I suspect you can
> probably serve a web page in about 20 syscalls, less if the headers arrive
> in one chunk from the client.
>
> Now that would be THE web server of choice for porn sites 8)
>
> Alan

Certainly any decent porn site has more "content" than will mmap into
the 4GB memory space of an x86. I guess it's time to drop the Intel
platforms and use Alphas for serious porn sites. ;-)

Seriously though, the idea sounds great for servers with small enough content.
--
Paul H. Hargrove All material not otherwise attributed
hargrove@sccm.stanford.edu is the opinion of the author or a typo.

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:39    [W:0.395 / U:0.524 seconds]