SubjectSCSI and hot-pluggable systems..... <sigh>
On Sun, 6 Jul 1997, Kevin M. Bealer wrote:

<clipped my comments about hot-pluggable SCSI>

> You may get several replies like this, so I will be brief:

Yup! (whoops)

> The kernel already supports it to some degree - part of how
> the discussion got started. In the source, it tells you how
> to rescan the scsi bus. There are dangers of course if your
> system is not one that, as you say, is designed for it.

I was getting tired of all the warnings saying 'don't EVER do this' so I
decided to post an answer.... Looks like I wasn't the only one either.

Linux won't properly support hot-pluggable systems until the root
filesystem can be smoothly mirrored (and mirrors added/removed).

But that shouldn't be a big deal <evil grin>.

[I'm a computer techie these days at a shop that DOES deal with these
systems. And they typically run Novell or SCO Unix or the like... or
AS/400 or other even weirder OS's.]

It'd be fun if Linux could compete with these guys :)
[soon - I know]

What's the status on UPS (uninteruptable power system) support? Can
linux read commands from ANY UPS systems? (eg: Power is about to fail).

Or perhaps this is a power-management deal.
Comment: If this IS APM-based, APM in non-laptops is GOOD to have!
(required in laptops!)
Just a pet peeve.... but it's a manufacturer problem (nonstandard APM)
rather than a linux problem.

Wind to your wings!
- Teunis

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:39    [W:0.079 / U:1.372 seconds]