   From: "Peter T. Breuer" <>

Basically, if anybody has amd working via NIS, I would like to know how.
I can just about manage it using an intricate and delicate sequence of
yppull's and NIS re-exports to ypserv's feeding only loopback nets, but, that
is not right.

Sorry for my half-empty mail, i am to tired :-(

I have a lot machines running with amd and NIS maps. They are running a
mix of libc 5.4.23 and 5.4.33.
OTOH it is just plain debian with one exception
ypbind from ypclients-2.2-970318.
NIS-Server are 1 Solaris master, 1 solaris slave and one Linux slave.

I tested am-utils a little bit and they were working with NIS maps
without problems. But this was only on my 2 machine home-net
with both machines being NIS-Server.

The biggest problem with NIS here is with the bound server being unreachable
and coming back online: (E.g. i added a harddisk to the linux one)
amd crashes and and i get lots of yp messages on the clients.
I usually have to reboot then.

Reporter (to Mahatma Gandhi): Mr Gandhi, what do you think of Western
Civilization? Gandhi: I think it would be a good idea.
Dietmar Braun, E-Mail:;