    SubjectRe: Msdos patch for aliased names

    On Wed, 30 Jul 1997, Alain Knaff wrote:
    > In which way does it slow down the critical path? Is it the
    > kmalloc() in msdos_canonize that you're worried about, or is it
    > something else?

    No, I'm not worried about what happens inside the call, I'm worried about
    the testing whether we should do the call at all. And what I'm more
    worried about is actually the fact that the call can change the dentry
    outside the VFS layer - something I don't like from a conceptual

    I'd like _all_ name lookup logic to be in the VFS layer so that there
    aren't any surprises. And I do see that people would prefer for the msdos
    filesystem to be case-insensitive..

    I certainly agree that my stupid "name_translate_char()" is by no means
    very good, and as you correctly point out we should actually change the
    character itself, not just the hash value. And we can't really do that in
    the place I envisioned for it, because the buffer that the name is in can
    be a symbolic link or similar, and we obviously shouldn't change that..

    I'd like this al to be done in some sane place - and your patch works but
    doesn't count as "sane" in my book. It looks like a hack (having people
    malloc memory and exchange it for non-malloced stuff, having somebody
    _else_ free it etc). The iso9660 filesystem used to do a lot of ugly stuff
    like that for directory handling (happily cleaned up these days), and I
    let things like that pass, but I don't like it when it's in the kernel

     \ /
      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:40    [W:0.022 / U:41.596 seconds]