SubjectRE: Printer setup in linux

It really depends on your didsribution and what software you have installed for
it. If you have RedHat all you have to do is as root, run printtool or run it
from control-panel. Setting your printer using printtool should be very
straight forward and present few if any problems. Look at my list of programs
for Debian if you need some help figuring out which programs to install

If you are using Debian you should probaby install:
lprng but lpr should also work.
magicfilter
gs
ghostview
mpage
ppp-gs
ghostscript
gsfonts

You may not need all of these and you may need more, this is just what I can
come up with right now.

Once you get all that installed then you can run /usr/sbin/magicfilterconfig
and it will ask a few questions and setup an /etc/printcap for you that should
work.

If you have Slackware or some other distribution I can't really help. You
should read the printcap man page, both of the prining how-tos, and the lpr man
page. You may also want to search some mailing list archives. Try the
archives at each of these sites. http://www.caldera.com, http://www.redhat.com
(the search is broken here, but these archives hold a lot of good info)
http://www.debian.org and possibly http://www.linuxhq.com

I hope this limited amount of info helps.

E-Mail: Travis Cole <tcole@iname.com> -- <tcole@methow.com>
http://www.methow.com/~tcole -- Get my Public Key here
Date: 29-Jul-97
Time: 12:51:31
640Kb should be enough for anybody
Bill Gates

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:40    [W:0.031 / U:0.076 seconds]