SubjectRe: [patch] QNX-style scheduling for Linux 2.0
I must admit I did not even think of this as a potential problem.  I agree
a name change is a good idea. We could just call it "advanced"
scheduling... Anyone out there have "cooler-sounding" name?

-- Adam

On Sun, 27 Jul 1997, John Kodis wrote:

> On Sun, Jul 27, 1997 at 09:46:57AM -0400, Steven N. Hirsch wrote:
>
> > Just a suggestion, but the name "QNX" is almost certainly a registered
> > trademark, and I suspect that the scheduling algorithm may be protected by
> > patent. You might be wise to tread carefully when claiming that your
> > kernel patches implement QNX-anything.
>
> The name is probably protected, but I doubt that the algorithm is. If
> it hadn't been described as the QNX scheduler, I'd swear that it was
> lifted straight out of VMS. Since the technique has been around at
> least as long as VMS has, even if it were patented, the patent should
> have expired by now.
>
> A new name is in order, though, just to avoid annoying any trademark
> holders (annoying the marketing folks that is, as the techies who
> developed the techniques would more likely be flattered at their ideas
> being adopted). I'd think that the names "Queue Number X" and
> "Versatile Multiqueued Scheduler" are both out-of-bounds, but that
> still leaves a lot of names up for grabs.
>
> -- John Kodis.

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:40    [W:0.922 / U:0.048 seconds]