    SubjectRe: undelete?
    Date
    > > Indeed, this creates need for a 'de-fragmentation-tool' for Linux. I tried
    > > defrag-0.6, but it simply crashed (I know that ext2 doesn't want to
    > > fragment...)
    > Last I tried to recompile defrag-0.6, it didn't like the vaguely-modern
    > kernel includes...I think I sent the ext2 Lord High Guru and Fixer some
    > email, but never got anything back. *shrug* Anyway, I didn't see a
    > binary at the time, but the compile errors were about struct members
    > that went away, so I'm not surprised that your binary fell to software
    > rot...

    Hmmm...I think Ted T'so has indicated in the past what the necessary fixes
    are. I seem to recall he even responded to an e-mail of mine, and explained
    what needed to be done [which I've completely forgotten].

    Ted has been great to me, and only blown-up once at me [which he apologized
    for, and explained himself]. He's done so much for Linux, and _IS_ doing
    so much for Linux (it seems hard to find much code around that he's not
    touched). I'm not surprised that maintaining a mostly unused package
    like defrag is low on his priority list.

    Some drawbacks of being a guru, so I've heard, is that you get to answer
    the same questions and deal with the same complaints 10,000 times. Even
    Mother Theresa might want to pick up an Uzi at that point.

    --
    Andrew E. Mileski mailto:aem@netcom.ca

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:40    [W:0.020 / U:1.044 seconds]