    SubjectRe: undelete?
    In article <>,
    Kurt Huwig <> wrote:
    >In the FAQ, I just found "please wait".
    >Is anyone working on an 'undelete'-feature for ext2 or better any
    >filesystem? I don't need 'rm' replacements, because I want to undelete
    >files deleted by samba.
    >The easiest solution might by a fs on top of another fs that is fully
    >transparent, but replaces 'delete' by a move into a certain directory.
    >I heard that there was a thread about ext2 deletion. What about really
    >deleting the stuff 60 seconds later? Often you realize your mistake just
    >in the moment of pressing 'enter'.

    That's not the way I'd do it; if you have a timed delete, you need to
    keep timers running, and that seems like it might be a less than optimal
    way to implement such a thing. I think the easiest way to implement
    undelete would be to set up a scheme for doing whiteout on directory
    entries; when you remove() (or unlink()?) a file, instead of killing
    the directory entry it will simply white that entry out, for reaping by
    a daemon at some later date (or recovery by undelete.) This way you
    don't muck with the fs semantics of ext2, but simply implement a few
    user-space daemons to do the proper bookkeeping on the filesystem.

    david parsons \bi/ Plus you get to bypass the "difficulty is GOOD"
    \/ cultists.

     \ /
      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:40    [W:0.020 / U:11.204 seconds]