SubjectRe: Linux 2.0.31-pre2 + Buffer /Swap patch Jul21
Hi,

On Wed, 23 Jul 1997, Dr. Werner Fink wrote:

> Try `linux mem=64M' at LILO prompt.

The new memory detection code was intended to make the "mem" parameter
obsolete ;-)

There are other problems with this new code (breaks loadlin and initrd).
IMHO this is a new feature and no bugfix so it should be tested out in
2.1.x and not risk raising new problems in 2.0.x.

> > OK OK, in the meanwhile, this patch is obsolete... BUT:
> >
> > I've got a problem: Since my computer sometimes miracoulusly crashes the
> > hard way, I suspected maybe it's got something to do with the problems
> > in 2.0.30. So I applied 2.0.31pre2 + the Buffer/Swap Patch Jul21 !
> >
> > But when booting this kernel, it just claims to have 1024 kB in the
> > boot.msg ! Since I have 64MB of memory, I suspect the setup.S -patch in
> > 31-pre2 ! Haven't had time to check that out clearly !
> > Then, everything seems fine, but the machine hangs just after doing:
> > Started INIT veriosn 2.65f it does something with the harddisk, though !
> >
> > Then I waited some time and the next thing popping up was:
> > try_to_free_pages: freepages 96kB async_pages: 0 kB
> >
> > And repeated this until I pressed the reset-button...
> >
> > Could anyone verify this, cause I'm not that good in kernel hacking !
> >
> > CU raY

Hubert mantel@suse.de

©2003-2011 Jasper Spaans