SubjectRe: more on mousesystems ps/2 problem
Actually, I believe, we are talking about the MouseSystems PS/2 version
of mouse (not the "White Mouse" which has the two modes you described).
It does have a switch for 2/3 buttons but it is a PS/2 mouse with a PS/2
connector (no adaptor needed).

At least I hope that's the mouse we're talking about because that was
the type my last message pertained to.

- Jeff

John Sullivan wrote:

> In article <Pine.LNX.3.95.970722122224.98A-100000@arick.wt.net> you
> write:
> >but every 5 minutes while you're using the mouse, it moves the
> pointer
> >right back to the bottom of the screen. (Can't be a mouse problem
> since a
> >DejaNews search through the comp.os.linux.* groups showed people with
> the
> >same problem, and I just got the mouse two days ago.)
> >- It works in X if I do gpm -t ps2 -R and tell X to read /dev/gpmdata
> as a
> >MouseSystems mouse, BUT I want to use gpm too.
>
> There appears to be an issue here with the kernel serial
> driver. (MouseSystems is the one that operates in two modes, yesno? An
>
> ms mouse compatible 2-button mode, and a proprietary 3-button mode.)
> To get into MouseSystems mode, the DTR line on the serial port the
> mouse is attached to must be held low. I found that under some
> circumstances, altering the tty settings of the serial line could
> cause the DTR line to be reset to high. I found this problem within
> gpm and the svgalib mouse driver. The solution is to always redo the
> ioctl to set DTR low after altering line settings. Alternatively,
> setting your driver to ms mode and only using 2 buttons also
> works. Oddly, X doesn't seem to have this problem, even when switching
>
> to/from X. The only way to disturb X is to open the mouse device from
> an xterm (under its feet!) which causes DTR to be reset and the X
> mouse to go squiffy.
>
> >- Oh yeah, it works fine if I load DOS and start the mouse driver,
> but I
>
> Odd...
>
> John
> --
> i built it up now i take it apart climbed up real high now fall down
> real far
> no need for me to stay the last thing left i just threw it away
> i put my faith in god and my trust in you
> now there's nothing more fucked up i could do

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:39    [W:0.026 / U:0.536 seconds]