SubjectRe: 2.0.30 serial.c, ppp.c and pppd-2.2 questions
   Date: Mon, 21 Jul 1997 22:20:10 -0600 (MDT)
From: Rob Riggs <rriggs@tesser.com>

I am getting full flip buffers with only an ISDN PPP connection
and a single login on a VT. Don't know how many pty's are in
use, but the system can be fairly idle except for a large FTP
in progress when the flip buffer overflows occur. I am rarely
paging on this system.

There was a false assumption made in the serial code. It assumed
that an entire run through the timer task queue was made every
clock tick. That may or may not happen, depending on how many
other tasks need to be run, whether we have to sleep, and the
number of interrupts occuring.

Rob, what else do you have on your system? Although I haven't done the
test in a while, the serial driver was originally written to be able to
support 115kbaud on a 386/40. (Granted this was a kermit transfers, not
PPP; but it was a looped back 115kbaud transfer where the transmitting
and receiving ports were on the same CPU, doubling the work.)

The fact that your 486/66 isn't keeping up makes me wonder what other
sources of interrupts you are having on your system.

- Ted

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:39    [W:0.153 / U:0.420 seconds]