SubjectRe: linux kernel bug tracking project.
I've often thought that a formal bug tracking kernel area should be
available.

In my mind, it should allow any user to add a bug report, append
information to a bug report, and close a bug report. The administrator
of the site would have some additional abilities, namely to ban users
and re-open bug reports if some idiot goes through and closes a bug
report for no reason. Make sure the user always comments each action,
however tersely. When adding bug reports, make sure to request all
sorts of info from the user, including ksymoops output, machine kernel
bootup output, /proc/{various files} output.

The ultimate in cool would be to customize the bug report entry screens
such that it provided a more intuitive "expert system" interface. The
user follows a tree of links into the different kernel subsystems, so
that a user reporting a bug in a SCSI driver would include
/proc/scsi/scsi output, but a user reporting a sound bug would send in
different information.

And please don't mail each bug report to this mailing list! :) The
people who like your service will go the Web page, and the people who
don't want to use it can easily ignore it.

It's been said before, but having a *BSD-ish "stable" set of kernel
sources, and an "experimental" set of kernel source, provides the best
of both worlds. It's just a huge pain keeping everything in sync. :)
My thanks to Linus, David Miller, and everyone else who puts up with
crap and tons of e-mail to bring us each new kernel release.
--
Jeff Garzik Quality news feeds
News Administrator INN Technical info, Consulting

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:39    [W:0.041 / U:0.376 seconds]