SubjectRe: The i2o Bus: A Conspiracy Against Free Software? (fwd)
On Fri, 18 Jul 1997, Andrew N. Ryan wrote:

> On Fri, Jul 18, 1997 at 11:48:04PM +0200, Michael Neuffer wrote:
>
> > Microsoft is keeping the lid tightly closed on this.
> >
> > The Wintel combination has enormous interests in keeping it that way.
> >
> When is intel going to stop kissing Bill's ass and realize that if they
> follow Bill with something like this I2O stuff, I for one, will not buy
> intel stuff anymore. And I'm sure I'm not alone. I hope DEC and SUN are
> paying attention to this. I will NEVER use a computer that is stuck running
> M$ crap.

2 things:

1. Intel is making big heaps of money with this.
I2O is based around the i960, just imagine what happens when you have
your networking card, your sound card, your graphics card, your scsi
controller all with i960s in your machine.......
2. Intel and M$ live in a so called deadly embrace,
the top honchos of Intel and M$, Billy Boy and Andy Grove, do not
exactly like each other very much, BUT what would happen if one of the
companies goes down the drain ? The other would at least suffer
extremely too.

What would happen if there suddenly would be no more Intel ?

M$ only really supports Intel and DEC ALPHA support is only there
just in case, something happens to Intel. DEC in turn (as well as the
PPC people) would be happy to turn up their volume and be able lower
their prices thru that. Linux and *BSD wouldn't have much problems to
switch completely to ALPHAs and PPCs while M$ would have to go thru
great pains.

If there would be no more M$, what would people keep with Intel ?
Microsoft keeps people with Intel by only supporting that hardware.
What would people keep them from using ALPHA processors, if they have
to buy new hardware and software anyway every few years especially if
DEC is able to reduce prices even more thru increased sales volume ?

Thru their sheer market dominance they can not live without each other.

Mike

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:39    [W:2.279 / U:0.000 seconds]