    SubjectRe: The i2o Bus: A Conspiracy Against Free Software? (fwd)
    Jason Burrell wrote:
    > > I find the windows hardware situation rather amusing. Remember when the
    > > Windows users were buying the GDI printers and scoffing at people who used
    > > UNIX and OS/2 because they couldn't save 10% by using a GDI printer? Then
    > > Win95 came out and the GDI printers weren't supported...
    > Yep. ;)
    Funny, I don't remember that...then again, I wasn't paying attention.
    And GDI printers were usually about $100 cheaper than their non-gdi-only
    brothers, which were in turn $50-100 cheaper than non-GDI-only printers
    which could do PCL 5 in hardware (needed for 600 dpi via PCL)...then the
    prices dropped, I'm not sure where they are now.

    > It was pointed out to me in mail by another reader that the "Windows
    > Hardware" such as modems could probably be supported by Linux or anyone else
    > who bothered to write the driver, and that the money that would be spent on
    > the support hardware would better be used for CPU and RAM.
    If the mfgs of LoseModems and GDI printers were willing to (a) all do
    roughly the same things so we wouldn't have to write bazillions of
    drivers like for the proprietary CD-ROM code, (b) allow people to see
    specs on how to communicate with this hardware, and (c) not reserve the
    right to change things from model to model which would screw up B, then
    it might be possible, but would require serious kernel-level support...
    Even if we knew how to write the drivers, we'd be in the most anti-i2o
    situation possible with them...

    Keith

    --
    The wisdom of G'Kar:
    Bad Guys make a very satisfying THUMP when they hit the

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:39    [W:3.211 / U:0.020 seconds]