    SubjectRe: The i2o Bus: A Conspiracy Against Free Software? (fwd)
    On Sat, 19 Jul 1997, Russell Coker - mailing lists account wrote:
    > >like IBM did with MCA, the standard will just die. I don't think all the
    > >clone providers will want to pay for using a standard. PCI only became big
    > >when they opened the standard.

    For a company it is not much money compared to the heaps they save
    by not having to emply a bunch of engineers that do nothing then
    writing and maintianing drivers for dozends of OSes. It just turns into
    one driver per device.

    > That's a good point. When MCA was released everyone in the industry
    > agreed that the ISA bus was inadequate. EISA wasn't much better and it had
    > no more compatibility than MCA (systems were produced with both ISA and MCA
    > buses).

    Not true. EISA was a compatible extension to the ISA bus. You could always
    plug ISA cards into EISA slots.

    You can still get a lot of EISA cards and also motherboards with EISA
    and PCI slots.

    Mike

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:39    [W:0.020 / U:0.960 seconds]