    SubjectRe: how to tell KERNELD to load 2nd SCSI driver ?
    Date
    Henrik Storner wrote:

    > In linux.kernel you write:
    >
    > > SCSI host #1 : NCR810 with 2 internal hard disks connected
    > > SCSI host #2 : AHA1542 with internal cdrom, tape and
    > > optinal external devices (hot swappable! ;)
    >
    > >now I'd like only to load the aha1542 driver via kerneld when I'm going
    > >to need cdrom or tape.
    >
    > You can't - at least, the kernel currently does not recognize that there
    > is a need to invoke kerneld under these circumstances. So short of
    > hacking the kernel SCSI code, you are out of luck. Either load the module
    > manually, or build both drivers into your kernel.

    You are incorrect. You can easily have kerneld load the second scsi
    driver by setting up the dependency in your modules.dep by hand. You
    just need an entry like:

    /lib/modules/2.0.30/scsi/st.o: /lib/modules/2.0.30/scsi/aha1542.o

    To have kerneld load the aha1542.o before it loads st.o. My machine
    at home is set up almost exactly like the setup above, and it works
    fine for all my secondary scsi devices, including tape, cd-rom, and
    generic scsi devices. The drawback is that 'depmod -a' can't autodetect
    these dependencies, so the user needs to add them by hand, and not run
    'depmod -a' on boot up. But once it is set up, kerneld will autoload
    the aha1542.o just fine.

    > It is even documented in the kerneld mini-HOWTO. Therefore, it
    > is not a bug.

    Then the kerneld mini-HOWTO needs to be updated.

    James.

    --
    jtsiao@madoka.jpl.nasa.gov || SCSI is *NOT* magic. There are *fundamental
    http://www.roadkill.com/thoth || technical reasons* why it is necessary to
    || sacrifice a young goat to your SCSI chain
    #include <disclaimer.h> || now and then. -- jfw@proteon.com

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:39    [W:2.335 / U:0.408 seconds]