SubjectRe: Parent process switching on debugger abort in 2.0.3x
Date
Pavel Machek <pavel@Elf.mj.gts.cz> writes:

> > Suppose, for instance, you kill your debugger, but the beast has written a
> > few breakpoints into the debuggee. What to do? Right -- either you kill the
> > child along with the parent (any fatal signal) or it's the debugger's job
> > to clean up after itself and properly detach the child (any other
> > signal).
>
> Well, and when I kill debugger with -9?

Killing programs with -9 means that you, the killer, assume any and all
responsibility for kruft the killee has not been able to clean up.

Telling the kernel that you have cleaned up is easy, you clear the traced
flag. If you didn't, well...

I agree, of course, that reparenting the debuggee to PID 1 because the
debugger gets killed is the worst possible way of handling the problem.

--
Matthias Urlichs

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:39    [W:0.182 / U:0.268 seconds]