    SubjectRe: 2.0.31 : please!
    On Wed, 16 Jul 1997, Alan Cox wrote:

    > > I think a "stable" kernel should be tested by some ten people with
    > > reasonably average configurations for about 24 hours.
    > > A "production" kernel should at least compile.
    > 10 people. Some of the bugs that show up in 2.0.x show up in configurations
    > that maybe 1 in 1000 or 1 in 10,000 users have and perhaps only after a
    > week of continual load. On a 10 user sample 2.0.30 is probably rock solid

    This is not valid for what I said about development kernels. In order to
    test if it compiles, it is only necessary to turn on all options that
    are not mutually exclusive and compile. Kernels 2.1.29 up to 2.1.41 (I
    might be off by 1 or 2) did not even compile with ISDN options activated,
    at least in my case and some other people's. ld complained about
    "undefined references".

    If this would be checked by about 10 people with reasonable configurations
    (recent GCC, binutils), it would not go unnoticed.

    > A lot of people don't seem to realise just how tricky it is building a
    > stable across all platforms/configurations system.

    I do realize that. I'm saying there should be at least *SOME* sanity
    checks before releasing even a "development" kernel.

    If there is a reason why non-compiling code has to be in the kernel
    sources (I would be hard-pressed to find one), then at least there should
    be a file "LATEST_COMPILING_<whatever>_IS_<version number>" in the kernel
    source directory.

    I don't think it is a good service to the advancement of Linux if released
    kernels do not compile.

    Like I said, I would volunteer to test-compile 2.1.X kernels.

    If kernels are not tested in any way, they should be in a different
    directory and be called pre-<Version>.

    - Daniel

    Curly says "GO"!

     \ /
      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:39    [W:0.020 / U:58.572 seconds]