SubjectRe: 2.0.31 : please!
Hi. Reading this flame, I couldn't resist throwing in my 2 cents. I hate
to do this, because it is offtopic, but here goes.

First, I run a server, running 2.0.30, with a usual load of maybe 5-6
people. It's a web server, samba, netatalk, the works. Surely not a large
load, but I did have it up for over 45 days, it did crash, I don't know
why, it appears the watchdog rebooted it. But, for me anyway, it is nice
and stable, THANK YOU ALL FOR DOING SUCH A WONDERFUL JOB!!! I can't stress
that enough! If you guys weren't around, I really don't know what os I'd
run... I have a 486, I aint coming close to running win 95, I like os/2,
but it's too slow for that too. I'm not going to run win 3.1 or dos
either... Linux is the answer for me!! Along with the server I have at
school (during the school year, the load is much higher, and I've been
running 2.0.30 since it's release, NO PATHCES, and it's worked fine.) I
also have a 386 machine running as an X client, it's a little slow, but
for checking ones email, or running xroach, it works great. xv even works
good.

The point of this, is to mix some praise in this flame of anger if you
will. I think everyone needs to step back and take a look at the wonderful
AMASING os that we have, because of the grace of a group of programmers.
The developers need to stand back and look at the issue from the stand
point of someone who relies on a stable kernel, and the reliers need to
stand back and realise that linux, how ever wonderful it is, is a project,
an experiment almost... One that has blossomed into an amasing
achievement, but one that still relies on the kindness of a handfull of
developers.

Also, I would like to pledge my assistance to whatever linux development
or bug fixing I can, I'm not that great of a programmer, but I know my way
around. Unfortunately, I haven't had any of the problems that are
discussed manifest themselves on any of the machines I run linux on. But
still, please keep my name in mind, and if there's a secret mailling list
of developers out there somewhere, I would love to be included, if for
nothing but to learn, and hopefully strive to be a developer.

You see, personally I love linux, I think it's great. I love to be able to
server files between three or four different platforms, to run dos and
windows programs interactively, and simultaneously, over x, with my meager
machine.

Anyway, thanks again. I really appreciate all the hard work you developers
do.

-------------------------------------
Michael A. Ballbach: N0ZTQ, yeh-zehn.
ballbach@lorien.ml.org
mikeb@vr1.com
http://lorien.ml.org/~ballbach/index.html

"I don't know how world war three will be fought, but world war four will
be fought with sticks and stones." -- Albert Einstein.

On Wed, 16 Jul 1997, Harald Koenig wrote:

> On Jul 16, Alan Cox wrote:
>
> > > I think a "stable" kernel should be tested by some ten people with
> > > reasonably average configurations for about 24 hours.
> > > A "production" kernel should at least compile.
> >
> > 10 people. Some of the bugs that show up in 2.0.x show up in configurations
> > that maybe 1 in 1000 or 1 in 10,000 users have and perhaps only after a
> > week of continual load. On a 10 user sample 2.0.30 is probably rock solid
> >
> > A lot of people don't seem to realise just how tricky it is building a
> > stable across all platforms/configurations system.
>
> well spoken. and I'd like to add: ... how tricky it might be
> to fix bugs which one can't reproduce himself!
>

> Harald
> --
> All SCSI disks will from now on ___ _____
> be required to send an email notice 0--,| /OOOOOOO\
> 24 hours prior to complete hardware failure! <_/ / /OOOOOOOOOOO\
> \ \/OOOOOOOOOOOOOOO\
> \ OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO|//
> Harald Koenig, \/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/
> Inst.f.Theoret.Astrophysik // / \\ \
> koenig@tat.physik.uni-tuebingen.de ^^^^^ ^^^^^

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:39    [W:0.211 / U:0.044 seconds]