    SubjectRe: 2.0.31 : please!
       Date: 	Wed, 16 Jul 1997 00:40:00 +0200 (MSZ)
    From: "Daniel G. Link" <scrooge@cyclone.snafu.de>

    To put it very bluntly: In order for it to flourish, it has to be possible
    to point out weaknesses in free software without the programmers
    threatening to commit suicide and hundreds of yes-men jumping to their
    defense, shouting "kill the whiner".

    It's fine to point out weaknesses; that's called submitting bug
    reports. Developers may get frustrated if users submit incomplete bug
    reports, but at least they're bug reports.

    When you start criticizing the developers, calling them lazy, et. al.,
    then you've crossed the line and are a whiner. And we should shoot
    those people, or at least berate them a lot, because Linux developers
    work on the kernel because they want to, and although these people claim
    to have the best interests of Linux in their heart, what they don't
    realize is by their constant personal criticisms of the *developers*,
    they are causing damage, because it makes the developer's work no longer
    fun.

    Believe me, just about all of our kernel programmers have plenty of
    other things they could be doing with their own time --- many of which
    pay better and deliver more personal gratification (especially when you
    those other projects have grateful user communicates instead of spoiled
    brats.)

    - Ted

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:39    [W:0.020 / U:181.880 seconds]