SubjectRe: Take A deep Breath
Date
> > I almost guarantee that 10% more effort put into documentation and
> > commenting would reap great rewards in terms of contributed input from the
> > community at large. Then, you CAN go off and design and implement the
> > "latest and greatest" - AFTER having paved the way for others to maintain
> > and fine-tune the previous "latest and greatest".
> yeah, Agreed, I have spent weeks trying to understand some parts of code,
> what are they designed for, what tasks.. and blah blah, and i really
> found there the lack of commenting. If comments would be more complete,
> it would be just great..

I agree, but the response from certain Linux developers is that
"the source code is self documenting". Ya right. None of the
kernel source code would pass a review at any company I know of,
or even be accepted as a college/university assignment.

Linus refuses to impose strict style and documenting practices.
I understand his views on these, but I don't agree with them.

--
Andrew E. Mileski mailto:aem@netcom.ca

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:39    [W:0.167 / U:0.696 seconds]