    SubjectRe: kernel-managed /dev, revisited

    > > Thid wouldn't be terribly hard to do. Well, not TERRIBLY hard. :)
    >
    > It wants to be done via user space except for rootfs though. I want to be
    > able to do stuff like
    >
    > mount alan_home_dir:
    > alan_home_dir: not found locally.
    > alan_home_dir: found on NFS server backupbox:
    > alan_home_dir: volume is password keyed
    > password:
    >
    > None of that is hard in user space...

    This is already done by the Berkeley AMD (do not know if the Linux
    autofs supports something like this though).

    The labels I am talking about are just supposed to be used for
    physical block devices attached to the host.

    So, you need a combination of features: on the machine hosting
    alan_home_dir you use the volume labels to mount the disk in a well
    known location. And you use an automounter map to access this file
    system from the other machines on the network.

    Miguel.

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:39    [W:0.020 / U:0.116 seconds]