    SubjectLinux Big Red FireTrucks (was: 2.0.31 : please!)
    David S. Miller wrote:

    > I think someone else should work on furthering the eventual 2.0.31
    > release. I don't have the stomache for it anymore. Any volunteers?

    David, you might have stomach problems reading some e-mail from
    people who haven't yet understood that Linux is so great thanks
    to the skill of people like you -- but thanks to their attitude
    as well ! -- while most of the rest of the world [me first] would
    get terrible headaches from *trying* to read kernel code.
    [snip]

    > Does anyone have any clue what makes any of us hack on this thing at
    > all? It's pretty simple, whats fun, interesting, and enjoyable to
    > work on, that is what we're going to hack on. Straight forward. I
    > happened to enjoy making a system solid, but not nearly as much as I
    > enjoy designing and implementing the latest and greatest.

    Luckily, most faithful list readers do. Last week I was working in
    a bank and in the spare time left while configuring a DeepBlue
    little brother for Oracle Parallel Server I helped one of the
    local sysadmins (who will read this :) to repartition an old IBM
    PS/2 with MCA support by compiling an image from a working Linux
    kernel. Hey, it was a 2.1.42 kernel, it was fun ! And they are
    running several machines with 2.0.29 and 2.0.30 as well...
    [snip]

    > I refuse to work on something in my spare time for people who berate
    > me and my fellow developers.

    The rest of the people on the list, most of which won't anyway
    be able to properly rate you and fellow hackers [only one who
    really understands what you're doing can rate you all], hope
    you keep hacking. Quoting you in person,

    => In fact I hope that Linus continues to hold the opinion he does on
    => this matter forever, he has the big red firetruck, he can decide how
    => he drives it, and this is just fine with me.

    we can say we hope you keep driving the big red UltraFireTruck,
    "and this is just fine with us".

    Ciao,

    --alessandro <asuardi@uninetcom.it> <asuardi@it.oracle.com>

    Linux kernel-2.1.42 libc-5.4.23 gcc-2.7.2.1 binutils-2.8.1.0.1

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:39    [W:4.034 / U:0.432 seconds]