SubjectRe: 2.0.31 : is it needed?
I applaud those who are calling for fixes and patches to maintain and keep the
2.0.x kernels up and running. But for those of us running archaic and/or
non-compile-the-kernel-in-3-min hardware, 2.0.30 works ok as long as some
of the new options that were added in 2.0.30 are left turned off (NOTE: I
did not say ALL). For those who want cutting edge bells and wistles, please
run the 2.1 series. The 2.0 series is supposed to be stable. That means that
new stuff isn't added. PERIOD!

Yes I know that it has been a year since 2.0.0 was released. Yes I know that
that is a LONG time in terms of computers. But if it ain't broke, don't mess
with it. And if it is broke, fix it rather than add more stuff to break.

The number of users who run Linux has increased drasticly over the last year.
The release of a new stable kernel leads directly to headaches on the part of
those who are seeing problems and hope that the new kernel will fix some of
them. But making massive changes to the kernels also means that other stuff
that is working well has to be upgraded just so that the supposedly fixed
kernel can be run.

I've taken enough of your time.
Thanks for letting me voice my opinions.

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:39    [W:0.099 / U:0.052 seconds]