    SubjectRe: kernel-managed /dev, revisited
    > > > Actually, I like Ted's idea better: Have the kernel scan the disk
    > > > labels at boot time for every partition detected and grab a list of
    > > > the disk labels on those partitions (you will need to label your file
    > > > systems of course).
    > >
    > > How about CD and scanners. Do I put sheets of paper with 1,2,3,4 in my
    > > scanners at boot time ?
    > Ok. I missed part of the point being addressed.
    > But still, having this in the kernel with some kind of volume manager
    > daemon should prove to be a nice addition to Linux.

    Agreed... perhaps even the idea of 'backup' mounts - ie, label
    some partitions

    If the kernel can't mount root0, it goes and tries root1. This would
    also be nice for the high availability project....

    Windows: I can play Doom! |RedHat Linux 2.0.31pre-2 i486
    Linux: I can be a file server, be a Web|Because reboots are for upgrades!
    server, run the accounting package with|
    twelve terminals AND play Doom! |for pgp key. frank sweetser

     \ /
      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:39    [W:0.018 / U:4.152 seconds]