    SubjectRe: Pre-45 oopses
    On Fri, 11 Jul 1997, Bill Hawes wrote:

    > Michael L. Galbraith wrote:
    > > This oops is new to pre-45. It didn't eat the filesystem (spare :). System is
    > > up-to-the-usec tools/libs wise MMX-150-Overdrive. Oops is reproducable.
    >
    > I've tracked down the apparent cause of the oops in permission(). If
    > the directory path includes a zombie entry, the call to permission is
    > made with a null inode, generating the message you reported.
    >
    > I've attached a patch that tests for null and denies access, but it
    > seems like we really shouldn't have paths without inodes.
    >
    > It's easy to reproduce the problem -- just create a directory tree, cd
    > to the bottom, then delete a parent. Now try echo hi > foo and you'll
    > trigger the message.

    In my case, it was following a broken symlink. I moved all of my user accounts
    from /home to /usr/home and (lazy) made a symlink to point to the new home.
    When I prepared the test filesystem, the disk filled up before copying
    /usr/home.. resulting in a broken symlink. Logging in as a user after patch..

    Linux 2.1.44.
    You have mail.
    permission: null inode
    No directory /home/mikeg!
    Logging in with home = "/".
    permission: null inode
    permission: null inode
    safedelchk: scan beginning
    permission: null inode
    safedelchk: removing files safedeleted before 06/12/97
    permission: null inode
    safedelchk: scan completed
    permission: null inode
    bash: /home/mikeg/.bash_profile: Permission denied
    permission: null inode
    permission: null inode
    permission: null inode
    permission: null inode
    mikeg:$

    mkdir -p /home/mikeg (as root) resulted in permission: null inode.. but did
    create the directory tree in the correct place.

    Thanks for the reply+patch,

    -Mike

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:39    [W:0.018 / U:33.108 seconds]