    SubjectRe: kernel-managed /dev, revisited

    > What if you've got filesystems that don't take labels?

    Well, that will be an inconvenience for those who happen to not use
    the one true file system in all of their disks.

    But seriously, this feature will not make the life any different to
    those users. In the other hand, it would allow a lot of Linux users
    to move freely their volume-labeled file systems.

    What you suggest is equivalent to not implementing a SPARC
    feature in the SPARC port just because Intel users would not
    take advantage of it.

    > What if you've got _two_ usr filesystems (my case: a
    > RedHat "working" system, and a "test-drive" Debian one)?

    Well, you should be able to do e2label /dev/sda2 "redhat/usr"; e2label
    /dev/sdb2 "debian/usr" and modify your setup files accordingly.
    Linux installation programs would let you select a proper label at
    install time.

    > What if some of the partitions aren't filesystems but just raw
    > devices (like a floppy you simply tar over), or before mkfs-ing it?

    Well, what is wrong with those? You can still access your devices
    trought the device files, I am just suggesting to add to the kernel
    support for labels on the file systems. (or to a user-level daemon or
    to the mount tool or to any combination of those).

    > Or filesystems/devices that need to load a module to access?

    This would work by a piece of code that knows about the layout of the
    different file systems supported. You do not need to load the file
    system code into the kernel to figure out what kind of file system you
    are dealing with. For instance, some twisted hacker could probably
    make an /etc/magic entry for recognizing file systems :-).

    Cheers,
    Miguel.

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:39    [W:0.018 / U:1.236 seconds]