    SubjectRe: Linux on AMD K6
    Date

    On Wed, 9 Jul 1997, Jeffrey Wiegley wrote:

    > I too am looking to purchase a K6 CPU instead of an Intel Pentium. I
    > don't know the answer to my next question so I apologize for not being
    > able to answer the original question due to a lack of general knowledge
    > on the subject.
    >
    > My questions would be:
    >
    > Currently how well does either the 2.0 or 2.1 kernels support the AMD
    > K6?
    > What special patches exist to increase K6 compatibilty/performance?
    > Are there any gcc/g++ compiler options that should be used to increase
    > performance for a K6?
    > Any other things that new K6 users should be aware of?
    >
    > - Jeff
    >
    > guess wrote:
    > >
    > > I am considering buying K6 processer instead of Pentium machine for an
    > > internet server wich will be running Linux/ http Server (Don't know
    > > wich
    > > one yet, probably Appache)
    > >
    > > I'd like to know public oppinion on this. Also some comparison on how
    > > it
    > > works on Pentium, Pentium Pro, Pentium II, and K6

    This thread has rapidly deteriorated into a comparison of web servers, but
    let's return to the question at hand: how does the K6 perform? These are
    the questions that I would like answers to before I would be willing to go
    with the AMD:

    - Does the AMD K6 have subtle x86 compatibility problems such as have been
    discussed on this list before with the Cyrix chips?

    - AMD compares the K6 to the PPro but the chip sits in a P5 socket. Does
    this limit its truly functioning as a PPro clone?

    - The K6 has a larger cache than the PPro (according to AMD) but it's
    accessed at 66 MHz rather than at the chip clock speed as with PPro. How
    much of a hit is this?

    Once these questions are satisfied, those asked by Jeff above become
    important.

    If anyone can address any of these questions, it would be much
    appreciated.

    Thanks,
    Karl.

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:39    [W:0.022 / U:0.192 seconds]