    SubjectGetting DMA and IRQ in userspace program
    Date
    I suppose this is kind of a silly request, but I need access to hardware
    IRQ's (at least) if not also DMA on hardware devices.

    This is for video drivers on newer hardware (+ some older).... I have
    yet to see specs of any card that uses DMA [but IRQ usage is common -
    almost universal].

    This has been fought about, debated about, and flamed about for the last
    5 years. I've been working on it for two, and I'm now to the point where
    I want to start incorporating hardware-level drivers.

    It seems kind of a waste to incorporate these driver-ideas into a
    kernel... especially 'cause there's no such thing as a standard
    interface between accelerated videocards, so there's no way to make this
    a black-box approach without getting REAL expensive on ram!

    [it would also prolly help in issues relating to getting systems like
    Win/95 and Win/NT running under DOSEMU :]
    (not that they're requiring CPU (opl0? 3? whatever.) would help any....)

    incidentally... I'm not that concerned with making this libc-compatible....
    [that's a userspace issue :]

    Ciao!
    - Teunis

    PS... It'd also be useful for plug-in device drivers (eg. that hated
    plug-n-play 'nonstandard'....)
    BTW - plugnplay printer-port support is nice :)

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:39    [W:0.018 / U:59.228 seconds]