SubjectRe: SCSI disk naming
psj@cgmlarson.com (Patrick St. Jean) writes:

[ SCSI 'first come first served' numbering ]

> if it would be easily changable, and a couple of aspirins later am
> writing this. It seems to me that it would be a Good Thing to have
> something like /dev/sd0a (scsi disk, id 0, first partition). Then if a
> disk gets removed for whatever reason, there are no worries.

This topic has been beaten to death here:

- The kernel dev_t currently is too small to allow for this scheme.
- With libc 5 dev_t can't be enlarged without breaking _all_ binaries.
- libc6/glibc2 allows for enlarging the kernel dev_t without breaking
binaries.

=> You'll probably see a larger dev_t and a saner SCSI numbering
scheme, when libc6 is in the mainstream.

In the meanwhile use the 'scsidev' script, available on your
favourite ftp server to get a usable workaround. It's a user space
solution, it's not perfect but it solves 75% of the 'first come first
served' SCSI numbering scheme problems.

Froh

P.S.: Please do not start another 'dev_t design' thread.

--
Frohwalt Egerer

We are just an Emacs running smaller and smaller Emacs inside and are a part
of an larger Emacs and so on, ad infinium.

I always thought that the religion of Emacs followed closely to that of Taoism.

-- Jason Tang in alt.religion.emacs

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:39    [W:0.038 / U:0.068 seconds]