    SubjectRe: pre-patch-2.0.31 try_to_free_page() messages
    On Sun, 1 Jun 1997 wrote:
    > There are known interrupt latency problems that cause characters to be
    > dropped by the UART, before the serial driver has a chance to get the
    > characters. This was intential due to some broken IDE controllers that
    > could cause MASSIVE FILESYSTEM DAMAGE if the problem was not worked
    > around.

    I've been running the Interrupt+Serial+Overrun patch from
    <http://mosquitonet.Stanford.EDU/software/LinuxChanges.html> and I've been
    using hdparm -u 1, and I still get overruns. Not nearly as many, but I
    still do get overruns. Granted, Stuart's patch changes serial handling
    greatly, so this may not be entirely true of the standard kernel. But I
    highly suspect it is still true of the standard kernel.

    This is at 115200 on a thinkpad 560 with a megahertz pcmcia modem.

    Does the 2.1 plan include integrating the RT-Linux code? I heard that a
    while back, but I'm not sure it's the case. If so that can be used to
    help this situation a lot.

     \ /
      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:39    [W:0.019 / U:2.120 seconds]