    SubjectRe: Ext2fs and hashed table.
       Date: 	Wed, 4 Jun 1997 20:47:11 +0100
    From: "Stephen C. Tweedie" <sct@dcs.ed.ac.uk>

    The trouble is that you have to do it for _every_ write request in the
    hole, unless you do fancy things with the tree and have a sparse map
    --- in which case you're losing a lot of the intended efficiency gain
    anyway. The direct map table seems to be a better idea all round for
    writing into holes.

    Actually, as long as the extent table fits in a single block, I don't
    think it'll be that bad to be constantly reorganizing the extent table
    (after all, it'll just be a single memcpy to make space in the table).
    The moment that the extent table exceeds a single block, though, I'd
    agree with Stephen that it's more trouble than it's really worth.

    - Ted

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:39    [W:0.017 / U:122.408 seconds]