    SubjectRe: Loop Encryption
    > P.S. Is it me, or is get_request() in drivers/block/ll_rw_blk.c
    > particularly complex for the simple job it does (with interrupts
    > disabled I might add)?

    I just rewrote it. It now allocates WRITEs from one end, and READs
    from the other. It is faster - on average, fewer requests are searched.
    Is is also more fair - READs and WRITEs get clustered at the ends
    of the all_requests array, so a READ (higher priority) is less likely
    to fill up a WRITE (lower priority) slot, except when the system is
    busy with lots of requests.

    I also rewrote get_request_wait() and eliminated __get_request_wait().
    The new code has generic support for handling drivers (like loop)
    that require multiple requests to complete a single request. They
    are put to sleep BEFORE THEY CAN START until there are enough free
    requests - the old code could only do this for single requests.

    I've been punishing the code for over 4 hours continuously now,
    by moving an 8 MB file to/from a deeply looped (XOR) file
    and syncing. Works wonderfully.

    The source is not yet ready for prime time (I know I can make it better),
    but it is available directly from me as part of my modular loop driver
    patch (which now supports kerneld too!).

    After this, I attack the buffer cache (particularly bdflush) to improve
    its loop driver support.

    Andrew E. Mileski
    Linux Plug-and-Play Hardware Support
    XFree86 Matrox Team
    Ottawa-Carleton Linux User's Group (OCLUG)

     \ /
      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:39    [W:0.018 / U:0.192 seconds]