    SubjectRe: SCSI disks
    Date
    Letting the chips far where they may, I quote tzeruch@ceddec.com:
    >It depends on what you do, but a very, very brief explanation:

    It depends GREATLY on what you do...

    >... SCSI has had multitasking features for years.
    >
    >With SCSI, I can write data to my CDwriter from a hard disk connected to
    >the same bus, and it can multitask and thus interleave swap file updates
    >with the file reads. When I read from my CD, the read request is queued
    >and I can do things with my hard drive while the seek is happening on the
    >CD, and transfer the data from the CD when it is ready.

    SCSI has many more types of devices to be connected... SCSI has support
    for multi-initiator systems -- e.g. your CDR just needs to be told where
    to get it's data (ID:0 C/H/S data...) and it can do it's thing without the
    CPU so much as lifting a finger. Several page scanners for the MAC do this
    in reverse.

    Let's see an IDE drive talk to an IDE drive... Better yet, let's see someone
    connect two computers via an IDE bus! [this has been done with SCSI.]
    PLUG: http://lacota.interpath.net/~jfbeam/Linux/SCSI-IP/MIRROR/

    --Ricky

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:39    [W:3.929 / U:0.188 seconds]