    SubjectRe: rescan scsi
    On Fri, 20 Jun 1997, Richard B. Johnson wrote:

    > On Fri, 20 Jun 1997, Lauri Tischler wrote:
    >
    > > If I plug a new diskdrive into a scsicontroller on a live system, how
    > > do I get the drive to be identified (as /dev/sdx or such) without
    > > rebooting the bloody box ?
    >
    > If this is not a joke you should get 40 lashes from a wet noodle. You
    > do not connect or disconnect anything from a SCSI bus when power is on
    > even if you "prove" that it can be done.

    It is safe so long as you do it properly. You can get special cases
    designed for hot-swap RAID arrays. You just have to make sure that you
    don't put spikes on the bus when plugging or unplugging drives.

    > Nevertheless, it is possible. There is no existing kernel code to support
    > this. You CAN swap drives that are identical by dismounting the existing

    You can send commands to do it through the /proc interface.

    p.

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:39    [W:0.017 / U:0.592 seconds]