SubjectRe: ide.c question!
Keith Rohrer <kwrohrer@uiuc.edu> writes:

> > I'm willing to write a little tool for Linux. I noticed, that I can swap Ide
> > drives on-the-fly, i.e., umount drive, turn off the power of particular
> > drive, pull of the cable, and it's ok for Linux. The same way I can insert
> > drive, but.. only the same drive.
> This is a really bad idea. From what I've seen, most drives are labeled
> with cautions about not plugging a live power source into their power
> sockets, and I've seen at least one report of someone frying a drive
> like that.
>
> > So, question: now do I implement a re-probe of devices? So I can insert
> > drive of new type, and for example:
> On the other hand, my cheapo IDE cd-rom doesn't always probe successfully
> on boot. It would be nice to have such a feature anyway.

I'm also having problems with IDE CD-ROM drive. But it looks more like a
kernel problem, not that drive is so cheap. :)

When I poweron machine, everythingis OK, kernel recognizes CD-ROM:

hdc: GCD-R580B, ATAPI CDROM drive

If I now reboot Linux, CD won't be recognized again. Looks like Linux
leaves it in some strange state. Error message is:

hdc: no response (status = 0xd1)

I had a WinNT for awhile on the machine, and there was no problem with
CD. Also worked great under MESSY-DOS.

Type is Goldstar R580B, 8x speed, ATAPI

Is it possible that some timing in the kernel is not precise enough,
so drive is left uninitialized after the reboot.

I'm using Linux 2.1.42 on 133MHZ Pentium, 32MB RAM.

Posted by Zlatko Calusic E-mail: <Zlatko.Calusic@CARNet.hr>
What does this red button do?

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:39    [W:1.229 / U:0.140 seconds]