SubjectRe: kerneld/multicast bug (tickled by gated)
Date

Andi Kleen <andi@mind.aec.at> writes:
>skh@merit.edu writes:
>> It's not clear that we want to disable pppd in that way
>> for general use with gated. Perhaps, if I mentioned that
>> the specific call is related to the IP multicast additions
>> it would help. Also, when we disabled kerneld (i'm not sure of
>> the terminology here.. so please pardon my newbie language)..
>> the hangs stopped.
>>
>> Does the linux kernel handle multicast groups being set across
>> ppp links? Thank-you for your quick response.

>could you try this patch please. It just prevents multicast addresses
>from being sent to kerneld. The general request-route mechanism is very
>flakey, so it's the best to disable it altogether. There exist userspace
>solutions (for example diald) that work better. Anyways, this patch
>should help.

Let me back this up. Don't worry about the request-route mechanism
being disabled. In fact, it has been removed from the current
development kernels, and those of us maintaining the networking code
for Linux generally agree that it was a mistake. There is no
problem using ppp without this mechanism, and if users want dial
on demand there are at least two better alternatives: diald, and
the latest release of pppd-2.3. Which you prefer depends on how
much configurability you need, and whether you need to support
dynamic IP addresses.

--
Eric Schenk www: http://www.dna.lth.se/~erics
Dept. of Comp. Sci., Lund University email: Eric.Schenk@dna.lth.se

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:39    [W:0.078 / U:0.512 seconds]