SubjectRe: Repeat the Ending
On 11 Jun 1997, Miquel van Smoorenburg wrote:
> In article <Pine.LNX.3.95.970610171058.31682K-100000@inorganic5.fdt.net>,
> Jon Lewis <jlewis@inorganic5.fdt.net> wrote:
> >On Tue, 10 Jun 1997, Paul H. Hargrove wrote:
> >
> >> kernel. The existing code just uses what is available, nearly for
> >> free, on the VGS hardware. For checking boot messages I'd suggest
> >> using a serial console.
> >
> >What serial console? :)
> >I realize there are unofficial patches for it. I'd love to be using a
> >serial console, if only it were part of Linus's kernel source. I've got a
> >spare RocketPort 16 port card I could wire into most of the systems.
>
> I have been working on the serial console support for linux-2.1.x, and
> I'll be sending a patch to Linus soon. If he accepts it (I hope so)
> I'll make a backport of the 2.1.x console stuff to 2.0.x

Great!

I really liked your version for 2.0 (especially from the multi-architecture
viewpoint), so hopefully it's better than the current thing that's called
serial console. If you enable that, you can't use the normal console anymore
due to the `hard' serial console option at compile time. And if you work around
that, X and gpm don't work anymore due to /dev/tty0 autopointing to the serial
port.

Greetings,

Geert

--
Geert Uytterhoeven Geert.Uytterhoeven@cs.kuleuven.ac.be
Wavelets, Linux/m68k on Amiga http://www.cs.kuleuven.ac.be/~geert/

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:39    [W:0.043 / U:0.480 seconds]