    SubjectRe: PCI netcards that are good for Linux

    now that the subject has come up,

    At 20:53 9/06/97 -0500, fb wrote:
    >just to put my two cents in:
    >i have had a great time with cheap ne2k clones
    >i have two linux boxen linked up each with $26 pci ne2k clones and i
    >routienely get > 1000k/s (compressed data) on ftp xfers between them

    which cards do you use ? I used to be quite happy with my Accton 1652's
    (ISA, thin coax) but one of them broke down, and I'm having a hard time
    finding a replacement. Tried one SN2000, one RL2000, neither works. I get
    the impression that the automatic media detection on these cards fails.
    Should I (1) get a hub and switch to UTP (2) get PCI versions (3) get some
    other NE2000 clone, or (4) use a different card alltogether ??
    I need something wellknown, because it must be supported by DOS/WIN, WIN
    NT, WIN95, OS/2 on the Pentium and by WIN NT on the Alpha/AXP. And, most
    important, by Linux on both architectures.

    Geerten Kuiper | "It is customary to append a signature or
    Corn. Houtmanstraat 113 | .sig to a mail message, usually containing
    2593 RG Den Haag | information on the author, along with a
    Nederland | joke or a motto."
    | Olaf Kirch
    | LINUX Network Administrators Guide

     \ /
      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:39    [W:0.020 / U:8.496 seconds]