    SubjectRe: PCI netcards that are good for Linux
    To  get the smc etherpower pci's to work in my machine (2.0.27) I had to
    get the newest tulip driver from:

    http://cesdis.gsfc.nasa.gov/linux/drivers/tulip.html

    My question I guess would be if there are plans to merge the .73 driver
    into the kernel source tree. The one in 2.0.27 seems to be from the 1.2
    era.

    Performance wise I see 22.4 Mbps transfer rates between my pc and one of
    our sun ultra's...

    joelja

    On Tue, 10 Jun 1997, Martin Mares wrote:

    > Hi,
    >
    > > I'm curious about a certain PCI card that our work just got
    > > for a few of our machines. How do the SMC EtherPower PCI cards hold out under
    > > load and performance-wise in general and under Linux? I noticed it was based
    > > off a Digital chip and I vaguely remember hearing bad things on the list about
    > > lots of the 'tulip' cards that were as bad as the ne2000 cards.
    >
    > I didn't test 10Mbit SMC's, but the 100Mbit ones are really excellent.
    > 10.5 MByte per second between two PC's! (e.g., 3Coms on the same setup
    > were capable of transmitting approx. 7 MB/sec).
    >
    > On the other hand, I think such questions are a bit off-topic on this list.
    >
    > Martin

    Joel Jaeggli joelja@darkwing.uoregon.edu
    Academic User Services consult@oregon.uoregon.edu
    ANTC & NSRC joelja@ns.uoregon.edu
    "On two occasions I have been asked [by members of Parliament!], `Pray,
    Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right
    answers come out?' I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of
    confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question."
    -- Charles Babbage

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:39    [W:0.041 / U:30.208 seconds]